Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I am not an Engineer. I am a Human Being!

Terrorism is getting weirder and weirder. It was kind of comforting to be able to think that terrorists were poor, disenfranchised people with nothing else to live for and hence they turned religiously extremist. Comforting I say, because at least we knew what the solution was. Get rid of poverty, and once people have enough money, they will stop trying to blow each other up, you know in the name of progress. But then we got these Doctors and Neurosurgeons no less getting in on the act. Don’t try to tell me that a neurosurgeon is a poor, disenfranchised person with nothing to live for. Or is medicine now part of the apprenticeship for suicide bombers.

From “The Times Online”

The unexpected profile of the modern terrorist: 26, from a caring family, married, with children, graduate
We expect suicide bombers to be uneducated social outcasts who have been twisted by fanatics. But the reality can be very different
Two men attempt to commit suicide and mass murder by driving a jeep packed with gas cylinders and petrol into an airport terminal. One is suspected to be a doctor, a man supposed to be committed to saving, not taking, lives. The other, now fighting for his life in a burns unit, is a “pleasant, calm and sociable” aeronautical engineer.

I got even more worried when I found out that the latest examples of the not so poor disenfranchised person with nothing to live for was in fact an “aeronautical engineer”. With brown skin no less. So worried in fact that I rang my parents and told them “I am not an aeronautical engineer, I am a human being” and if anyone asks I am now a project manager. It took a while for my mum to stop laughing, but at least we got that sorted out.

It pays to make sure people know the difference, at least now I can sleep at night and not worry about “crazed mobs” smashing in my door with flaming torches trying to fulfil the “brown skinned engineer APB”.

No comments: