Thursday, August 2, 2007

Peter Hitchens: Assault With Intent to Punctuate!

To think Peter Hitchens actually gets paid for writing his column, obviously full stops and commas were on sale the day this article was written.
--
I am unlikely to get the chance myself, (Comma) but the next time this happens, (Comma) could those journalists present stop being overawed by uniform, (Comma)remember that these characters head the most ineffectual and useless police forces in British history, (Comma) and please ask them, (Comma) in detail, (Comma) exactly how this logic works?
--
I don't see it myself. (Full Stop) It doesn't appear to me to follow. (Full Stop) We arrest people on suspicion of wrongdoing. (Full Stop) If they have done something wrong, (Comma) it won't take 90 days to produce enough evidence to lay a charge. (Full Stop)
--
It doesn't matter how interesting the remainder of the article is, after overdosing on commas and full stops in the first 3 paragraphs, it's physically impossible for me to read the rest, for fear of being assaulted by wayward punctuation.

No comments: